Visiting Las Vegas always feels like stepping into a whirlwind of energy and innovation, an experience amplified during my latest adventure for CES, the largest consumer electronics expo in the world. Having been to Las Vegas before, this trip stood out as it was my second time attending CES, where the cutting-edge of technology is unveiled.
Last year’s CES was all about actively showcasing our product. Caught up in the whirl of presentations, I hardly had a moment to share my experiences. This time, however, I absorbed every detail, immersing myself fully in the vibrant atmosphere of the show.
CES is more than just an expo; it’s a global stage for everyone from tech titans to emerging startups, all eager to impress and innovate. The range of products is astonishing – from televisions and cars to helicopters, cryptocurrencies, and smartphone accessories. It’s a place where the future of technology unfolds, with the notable exception of Apple, which usually opts out of the event.
However, this year, I noticed a sense of déjà vu with many exhibits. It appeared that a significant portion, around 80%, were repeats from last year, leaving only about 20% of the show dedicated to new innovations. This repetition was a bit of a letdown in the midst of the otherwise sparkling array of technology.
The expo is cleverly segmented into thematic sections, covering everything from sports to engineering. It sprawls across different venues in the city, creating a tech wonderland. For the second consecutive year, our booth was set up at the Sands Expo, which is conveniently located next to the Venetian Hotel. The main portion of CES took over the sprawling Las Vegas Convention Center.
The primary goal at CES is to maximize exposure for your product, showcasing it to the industry journalists who will then broadcast its story to the world. Having learned from my previous visit, I was better prepared this time with a few key strategies: scheduling meetings with journalists in advance, arriving in Las Vegas early to acclimate to the climate, starting booth setup a day before the expo opens, and maintaining high energy levels throughout the event.
To avoid the long lines and keep energy up, stocking up on coffee is a must. Bringing a large team is also beneficial. It allows for a balance between interacting with the press and exploring the rest of the exhibition, ensuring you don’t miss out on any of the groundbreaking innovations on display.
An unforgettable part of my visit were the NHL hockey games, where the local Vegas Golden Knights faced off against the New Jersey Devils and the San Jose Sharks. The first game was a spectacle of fiery enthusiasm, resulting in a nail-biting 3-2 victory for the Knights. The second match, however, was a tough battle, and we witnessed a narrow 3-2 defeat. These exhilarating games added a dynamic layer of excitement to my CES experience in the ever-lively Las Vegas.